After another productive week of working just 1 hour each morning, I installed my 2 piece dash assembly and wired up all the gauges and switches, and installed my freshly restored steering wheel and horn/trafficator switch assembly...
One detail I forgot to mention in my video is the evolution of the Healey 100 dash and where mine fits in the chronology:
The first style of dash that was used on BN1's throughout much of 1953 was a 2 piece dash assembly (the gauge cluster being a separate piece), and the steering wheel was adjustable with a chrome trafficator switch:
Then in early December of '53 the adjustable steering wheel was replaced with a non-adjustable wheel with a black pointed trafficator switch.
This change also coincided with adjustable sliding seat tracks that had been fixed before this.
The dash remained 2 pieces, but the steering wheel cutout was narrowed to accommodate the non adjustable column..
- This is the dash that my car has, and is actually the rarest of the standard production Healey dash configurations as it only lasted a month or 2:
Finally by the end of January 1954, the dash panel was changed again to a single piece and remained the same pressing throughout the rest of BN1 & BN2 production with only minor changes made to the instruments themselves and some switch locations (BN2's had the ignition switch and overdrive switch locations reversed - as well as a slightly different speedo and tach) -
Some later single piece dashes were painted a solid colour, however it seems the majority maintained a silver painted gauge cluster.
Leather covering on the dash was also a factory option but was extremely rare...
So with that brief history in mind, here is my rare 2nd style,
2 piece dash with narrowed (non-adjustable) steering wheel cutout being installed and wired up:
..And fitting my newly restored horn/trafficator unit that I purchased through Curt Arndt:
Also this week, I installed the fresh air hose.
Early BN1's like mine had this hose cut well short of the grill opening like this -
Whereas later BN1's & BN2's had the hose extended right up to the grill...
I also finished making & installing the new steel fuel lines under the car, and added my NOS Petro-flex fuel line:
With the wheels temporarily installed, the car is really starting to look like a car again!
Until next time -