Another weekend of major progress on the B!
I came home from work Friday evening with a cherry picker that I was able to borrow for the weekend. I had already made plans with my neighbor John to help me install the engine Friday evening, so that's exactly what we did!
It took a few attempts to get the angle of the engine & gearbox right as we maneuvered it in place. I also had to remove the oil filter for clearance, and used a rolling jack under the gearbox to help lift it clear of the frame cross-member and level the engine as we guided her in place.
All in all, it went very smoothly! we got her all in and all bolted up without any real issues or damage.
With the weight of the engine now in place, I was able to use a jack to install the front coil springs and then the front wheels after cleaning and re-greasing the wheels and splined hubs.
The following days Saturday and Sunday, I continued rolling with the progress!
I had friends Richard Owen and Norman Thomas come by on Saturday to help me install my newly restored windshield. It was another tricky job that required lots of eyes and hands, but we got her in place with great success!
I then installed the Radiator, oil cooler, generator and all their respective hoses in the engine compartment,
I installed the gas tank with new rubber buffers in the straps and between the boot floor,
Then I finished off the boot space with the spare wheel, jack and hammer, tonneau bars, tonneau cover and boot covers - all original pieces in their original stowage bags.
There's not much else going on in the trunk of an MGB,
While I was at it, I test fit the tonneau bars, and then the boot cover and my NOS tonneau cover. They all fit, though the NOS tonneau cover will need some hot days in the sun to help smooth out some of the wrinkles it has after being folded in a bag for 50yrs,
There's more to come as the B gets closer to completion, stay tuned!
-I know I will be!
until next time -