I decided to make the faux Asbestos insulation panels for the drivers side foot box -
The early BN1 style is not currently available, so I cut these out of some dense 1/4" soffit board and then thoroughly coated both sides in a flame retardant BBQ paint that dries in a flat white finish.
I will be hiding some 3M insulation under the carpets on the insides of the foot boxes to provide the actual insulation...
I secured them with the correct zinc plated hardware including the proper 1/8" thick washers...
Note also the yellow zinc wiring harness clips, with white zinc screw hardware - as original:
For the wiring harness, I purchased a new cloth on cloth woven harness from British Wiring, including a new cloth overdrive harness and a pair of cloth woven headlight pigtails - as original.
I masked off all the wire tips and connectors and sealed the cloth harness with a clear rubberized spray coating to help protect it from the elements.
I also wrapped the under chassis and overdrive harness' with black plastic tape as original.
Then I labelled the wires as to where they go, to make installation easy...
I purchased a Cunifer (copper-nickel) brake pipe set by Automec.
The pipes come pre-cut and flared with new correct style fittings already on them.
After bending them all to shape, I painted the lines to look like they're zinc plated - making sure to mask off the end fittings.
I'll be purchasing some actual 5/16" steel line to hand make the new fuel lines out of, using my original brass end fittings...
Here's some pics of the installed wiring and piping in the engine bay:
The inner firewall:
The boot wiring...
Of course I always like to do some before/after shots:
There's much more to come,
Until next time -